Wausau Club / Built 1901

© Photographed November 14, 2015
Wausau, Marathon County, Wisconsin
44.961279,-89.626964

WAUSAU CLUB
Built 1901
has been placed on the
NATIONAL REGISTER
OF HISTORIC PLACES
by the United States
Department of the Interior

The marker is affixed to the facade of the north side of the Wausau Club, located on eastbound McClellan Street, at its intersection with North 4th Street, at or near 309 McClellan Street, Wausau, Wisconsin 54403.

Ten prominent Wausau men incorporated the Wausau Club and built the clubhouse for social and business meetings. During the first few years, liquor and cigarettes were banned and women could not hold membership.

The site the club is on once held a house that belonged to Rufus P. Manson, a Mayor of Wausau and a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, and his family of twelve. After Manson and his wife died, the house was split into two separate properties and each was moved to a different location. The following year, the Wausau Club was formed and would move another house from a different location onto the one previously occupied by the Manson residence. Multiple additions would later be made to the building, including one addition and refurbishment that cost $140,000. During the Prohibition Era, an underground tunnel connected to the Wausau Pilot newspaper building was used to move alcohol to and from the club undetected.
The foregoing text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.




Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Club House, Wausau, Wis. / Postmarked 31 Nov 1915

The building is also a Wausau Historic Landmark.


 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
The building and marker are located in Wausau, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment