Oshlosh Public Museum Cannons

© Photographed November 7, 2015
Erected 2006 by Oshkosh Public Museum
Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.033642,-88.55813

Model 1891 3.6" Breech Loaded Field Gun

Cast at Watervilet Arsenal, New York. Possibly
used in the 1898 Spanish American War. This gun
represented a major improvement over muzzle
loading cannons in speed of reloading range, and
destructive power of the shall. similar guns,
mounted on field carriages, are visible in the 
photograph at left.  OPM #101.5.14.2.

The marker and gun are located at the entrance to the Oshkosh Public Museum, located at 1331 Algoma Boulevard, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901.


Oshkosh Public Museum: Oshkosh Public Museum Cannons
October 12, 2006 - People driving past the Oshkosh Public Museum may never have noticed the three cannons that were located at the corner of High and Congress Avenues. These pieces were moved recently and are now prominently displayed near the main entrance to the museum. The cannons came to the museum from various sources.

These posts are related to this marker:


Above: Battery C 1st Artillery Captain Allyn Capron, Sr. Commanding, in action on
July 1, 1898, at the Battle of El Coney, Cuba. OPM #2005.8. Two Model 1885, 3.2".
Breech Loading Field Guns mounted on field carriages.



Illustrations from the Atlas to Accompany the
Official Records of the Union and
Confederate Armies 1861-1865 published by
the U.S. Government Printing Office in 1895.
Shown above is a typical Civil War field
carriage, shown at right [below] are cross-section views of the 24-pound Howitzer and
the 6-pound Bronze Field Cannon, and at left, top and side views of a Garrison
Howitzer mounted on a wooden carriage for placement in a flank casemate.


The marker and guns are located at the entrance
to the Oshkosh Public Museum.
The marker and guns are located at Oshkosh Public Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment