Model 1844 24 Pounder Garrison Howitzer

 © Photographed November 7, 2015
Erected 2006 by Oshkosh Public Museum
Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.033642,-88.55813

Model 1844 24 Pounder Garrison Howitzer

Cast by Cyrus Alber & Co. of  Boston in 1849. This
short-range cannon was mounted on a fixed
carriage in fortification. The large diameter bore
typically fired canister at troops or calvary.
Oshkosh Mayor J.H. Merrill obtained the gun from
Rock Island Arsenal in 1899.  OPM #101.5.14.3.

The marker and gun are located at the entrance to the Oshkosh Public Museum, located at 1331 Algoma Boulevard, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901.


The large iron cannon is a Model 1844 24-Pound Garrison Howitzer. Cyrus Alger & Company manufactured the gun in 1849. This type of howitzer was used in fortifications and placed in the corners or "flank" of a casemate. They were short-ranged pieces that would be used against assaulting troops. The cannon was loaned to the City of Oshkosh and shipped from Rock Island Arsenal on June 28, 1899. This cannon was then placed on display in South Park. In 1936 the Park Board donated this gun to the museum.

These posts are related to this marker:

Model 1844 24 Pounder Garrison Howitzer


Information about the Model 1844 24 Pounder Garrison Howitzer
is part of the Oshkosh Public Museum Cannons (above).



The marker and gun are located at the entrance
to the Oshkosh Public Museum.

The Model 1844 24 Pounder Garrison Howitzer and marker
are located at the Oshkosh Public Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment