Model 1841 6-pound Bronze Field Cannon


 © Photographed November 7, 2015
Erected 2006 by Oshkosh Public Museum
Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.033642,-88.55813

Model 1841 6-pound Bronze Field Cannon

Cast by Ames Co. of Chicopee, Mass. in 1854. A
standard light artillery piece in the Civil War, it
fired either a round iron ball weighing six pounds
or canister shot. Originally owned by Co. F. 2nd
Wisconsin National Guard, the Brooklyn Hose Co.
obtained the gun and the fireman used it to signal
the start of Oshkosh's annual 4th of July
celebration. The cannon was donated to the
newly formed Oshkosh Public Museum in 1925.
OPM #101.5.14.1.

The marker and gun are located at the entrance to the Oshkosh Public Museum, located at 1331 Algoma Boulevard, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901.


The bronze cannon is a Model 1841 6-Pound Field Gun. The Ames Company in Chicopee, Massachusetts manufactured it in 1854. These cannons were greatly used in the early days of the Civil War. Company F, 2nd Wisconsin National Guard, acquired the cannon in the late 1800s. When Company F was disbanded about1920, the National Guardsmen gave the cannon to the Brooklyn Firehouse. In March 1925 the Fire Department donated the cannon to the Oshkosh Public Museum.

These posts are related to this marker:

 Model 1841 6-pound Bronze Field Cannon


 Information about the Model 1891 3.6" Breech Loading Field Gun
is part of the Oshkosh Public Museum Cannons (above).



The marker and gun are located at the entrance
to the Oshkosh Public Museum.

The marker and gun are located at Oshkosh Public Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment