Erected 2011 by Third Avenue Historic District
Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin
44° 50.146′ N, 87° 22.674′ W
This visually prominent building is a handsome example of the two-part commercial block style common during the period. It originally anchored what was once downtown's principal business corner prior to the completion of the Michigan Street Bridge in 1931. The building remained in continuous use as a hardware store until 1979. The rear addition was built around 1900 as a tin shop and utilized similar brick construction and detailing. The ornately detailed entablature and cornice of corbelled brickwork provide a hint of the Classical Revival style. The six bay primary façade utilizes implied brick pilasters to visually separate the two outer bays. Limestone sills and lintels accent the cream-colored brick. The building retains its original storefront opening and general appearance, although recent modifications have utilized modern materials.
The marker is located on southbound 3rd Avenue, at its intersection with Kentucky Street, at or near 165 North 3rd Avenue, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin 54235.
The building is kitty-corner from "Old Bell" Tower.
The building is located in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
The building is located in Sturgeon Bay's Historic Downtown Waterfront.