WRL-126: Judge John A. Bingham House

 © Photographed October 17, 2015
Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin
42.605689,-89.642041

Judge Bingham's house is located on southbound 14th Avenue, at its intersection with 7th Street, at 621 14th Avenue, Monroe, Wisconsin 53566.

Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory
Property Address: 621 14th Avenue, Green County, Monroe, Wisconsin
Historic Name: Judge John A. Bingham House
Reference Number: 16171

Year Built: 1857
Architectural Style: Greek Revival
Wall Material: Brick
Architect: Norman Churchill
National/State Register Listing Name: Bingham, Judge John A. House
National Register Listing Date: 1976-01-02
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
Additional Information: Judge John Bingham figured prominently in the early growth and development of Monroe. A native of Vermont, he arrived in Monroe in 1842 and soon became probate judge, a banker, and, later, a railroad promoter. Bingham engaged the services of a local builder to erect this dignified Greek Revival house. The raking molding and cornice returns at the gable ends create the sense of a classical pediment, and the wide band of trim below the cornice suggests a classical entablature. The prominent off-center entry, graced by simple, narrow pilasters and sidelights, and the radiating voussoirs, or wedge-shaped bricks, above the window and door openings enhance the house’s formal appearance. The rear wing was added to the house in 1877, after Bingham's death, and a second addition was made probably in the 1940s.
The foregoing content used with permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

Green County Wisconsin Biographies: "John Augustine Bingham"

The property is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark; it is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.

This location is Wisconsin Registered Landmark 126 (designated April 3, 1971), and is included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmark program (1964-1973)

 John A. Bingham
This image is in the public domain.

View of the house from the street, pretty much hidden by the shrubbery.

The house is located in Monroe, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment