U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

© Photographed October 3, 2015
Designated 2002 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.383′ N, 89° 22.898′ W
U.S. POST OFFICE AND COURTHOUSE
James A. Wetmore, Architect
1927 - 1929
This impressive limestone building with its two-story Ionic colonnade is one of Madison's finest examples of the neo-classical revival style. Wetmore was acting supervising architect for the Department of the Treasury and this and similar designs were used in many medium-sized cities across the United States. This building replaced the former post office and courthouse (1870-1929) that was located across the Square at E. Mifflin St. and Wisconsin Ave.
The marker is located at the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building and is accessible from northbound Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, north of its intersection with East Wilson Street, at or near 215 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

Wikipedia: James A. Wetmore


The marker is affixed to the facade, to the right of the center entrance.

The marker is visible in the distance, to the left of center.


Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Post Office, Madison, Wisconsin.

The marker is visible in the center of the photo.
The marker is located in Madison, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment