University of Wisconsin Armory & Gymnasium

© Photographed October 3, 2015
Erected 2007 by Madison Landmarks Commission
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.076321,-89.39846

UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN
ARMORY & GYMNASIUM
Conover and Porter, Architects
1892-1894
This building is significant for its association with the early history of the University of Wisconsin. It exemplifies the castellated medieval fortress variation of the Romanesque Revival style, and is unique for its combination of the armory and gymnasium building types. It is also significant for its association with historical political events, as the site of the 1904 Wisconsin Republican Convention, a seminal event in the history of the Progressive Movement. One of the most visually prominent buildings on campus, it features stepped gables, and towers with crenellated battlements.
Designated September 18, 2007
Madison Landmarks Commission

University of Wisconsin Armory and Gymnasium (aka "Red Gym") is located on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus on westbound Langdon Street, west of its intersection with North Lake Street, at 716 Langdon Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53706.

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus is pretty intense. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.



NOTE: The marker is located inside the front door of the building.

Madison Landmark Designation: September 18, 2007
National Register of Historic Places: November 4, 1993
National Historic Landmark Designation: November 4, 1993

Landmark Nomination Form

The University of Wisconsin Armory and Gymnasium, also called "the Red Gym," is one of the most beautiful and recognizable buildings on the UW-Madison campus; the building houses many student services offices, including International Student Services. 

The Red Gym was originally used as a combination gymnasium and armory beginning in 1894. Designed in the Romanesque revival style, it resembles a red brick castle. It is situated on the shores of Lake Mendota, overlooking Library Mall, and adjacent to Memorial Union.
This document is the "first-ever Historic Structure Report on a state-owned building", completed in the summer of 1992.
  • Built in 1894 at a cost of $127,000 (would cost $3,368,315.28 in 2013)
  • Renovated in 1998, at a cost of $13 million
  • Original purpose was as a military training facility, and athletic and student activity center
The property is included in the National Historic Landmarks Program.

The property is listed on the Wisconsin State Register of Historic Places.

See also, University of Wisconsin Armory and Gymnasium, also at this location.

The marker is No. 169 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

Click here for a list of all markers located on the UW-Madison campus.

 The marker is inside the entrance visible to the left.

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Postmarked April 2, 1904

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Postmarked November 2, 1913



 Armory & Gymnasium is located on the campus of UW-Madison.

No comments:

Post a Comment