Stoughton Univeralist Church 1858

 © Photographed October 16, 2015
Stroughton, Dane County, Wisconsin
42° 54.964′ N, 89° 13.424′ W

This property has been placed on the
NATIONAL REGISTER OF
HISTORIC PLACES
built in simple Green Revival style of
cream colored brick brought by oxen
from Milwaukee. This structure served
the early Yankee settlers
as a Universalist church
as well as a community
meeting hall, and is
now a museum.

The marker is located on southbound South Page Street at its intersection with West Jefferson Street, at the Stoughton Historical Museum, 324 South Page Street, Stoughton, Wisconsin 53589.

Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory
324 South Page Street, Dane County, Stoughton, Wisconsin

Historic Name: Stoughton Universalist Church
Other Name: Stoughton Historical Museum
Reference Number: 5936

Year Built: 1858
Architectural Style: Greek Revival
Wall Material: Cream Brick
Architect: P.J. Hyner / Stephen V. Shipman
National/State Register Listing Name: Stoughton Universalist Church
National Register Listing Date: 1982-09-30
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01

Additional Information:
At a time when society saw the home as a woman’s proper sphere, Stoughton’s Universalist Church welcomed women to serve as pastors. The congregation’s first clergywoman commanded the pulpit from 1869 until 1873; two others ministered briefly from 1883 to 1884 and from 1890 until 1892.

Founded in 1858, the congregation was Stoughton’s first. Members tapped Shipman, a respected regional architect, to design their cream-brick church, but the men of the congregation did much of the construction work themselves. Shipman’s Greek Revival design centers on a square wooden steeple atop a pedimented gable, whose shape is accentuated by brick corbeling. The original plans called for a large door at the center of the facade, with a window on either side, but as built, the church reverses that configuration: entryways flank an oversized two-tier window, with brick pilasters defining the three bays.
The foregoing content used with permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

See also, Stoughton, also at this location.







The church is located in Stoughton, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment