Park Hall

© Photographed October 11, 2015
Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin
42.705834,-87.785355
Google Map

PARK HALL
Park Hall was built in 1852. It is the first building erected in what became the east side of the quadrangle. Gothic Revival in style, it has a three-story center section with a short crenellated tower over the entrance and two-story wings on the north and south.

The Rev. Dr. Roswell Park, the first president of the college and for whom the building is names, described it thus in his first annual catalogue, "The central park, which projects to the front, contains four large recitation rooms, besides a chapel, with open roof, occupying the whole of the upper story, and a kitchen and dining room in the basement,. There are ten rooms in each wing designed for students' dormitories."

In January 1864, it burned, with the exception of one wing, and was restored that same year.
The marker is located on the grounds of the DeKoven Center, in the center courtyard. The address of the DeKoven Center is 600 21st Street, Racine, Wisconsin 53403.



 The marker is placed adjacent to the west side of the building.


 The east side of Park Hall, which faces Lake Michigan.

 View of Lake Michigan, across from the entrance to The DeKoven Center.

Park Hall is on the grounds of The DeKoven Center in Racine, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment