Monroe Depot 1888 / Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Depot

© Photographed October 17, 2015
Erected by Historic Monroe, Inc.
Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin
42.591674,-89.65148

MONROE DEPOT
1888
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad
Moved 1993

Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Depot
This Depot, built in 1888, made it possible for area farmers and cheesemakers to send products to the eastern market. In addition to being a freight depot, it also served as a passenger depot.

Passenger service was discontinued in 1951 and freight service in 1980. The depot closed in 1979 and was left to deteriorate.

In 1989, it was learned that the depot was to be demolished. Historic Monroe assumed the project to move and restore the depot to the current location. The depot was purchased from the Department of Transportation for $1.00 and the land purchased from the City of Monroe for $1.00.

Historic Monroe was joined by Historic Cheesemakers with efforts focused on a cheesemaking museum.

The depot currently housing the Green County Welcome Center and the National Historic Cheesemaking Center, opened to the public in 1995.
The Monroe Depot is located on northbound 6th Avenue, between 22nd Street (to the south) 21st Street (to the north), at or near 2108 6th Avenue, Monroe, Wisconsin 53566.

The depot is now home to the National Historic Cheesemaking Center.

See also, National Historic Cheesemaking Center, also at this location.

The south side of the depot.

The depot is now home to the National Historic Cheesemaking Center.


  The depot also serves as the Green County Welcome Center.

The depot is located in Monroe, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment