Madison Catholic Clubhouse

© Photographed October 3, 2015
Designated 1994 by Madison Landmarks  Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.379′ N, 89° 22.834′ W
Google Map

MADISON CATHOLIC CLUBHOUSE
John J. Flad, Architect
1938
This Mediterranean Revival clubhouse has Art Moderne touches, reflecting its late 1930s date. It was built for the Knights of Columbus, a fraternal society for Catholic men. Several other Catholic groups met here and the building also housed the offices of the Catholic Diocese. John J. Flad was a prominent Catholic layman who designed many buildings for the Catholic church. John J. Flad and Associates would grow to become one of the largest architectural firms in the city.
Designated August 22, 1994
Madison Landmarks Commission

The building and marker are located on eastbound East Wilson Street, between Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard (to the west) and South Pinckney Street (to the east), at or near 15 East Wilson Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

City of Madison Landmarks Commission Nomination Form: Diocese of Madison Chancery Building aka Madison Catholic Association Clubhouse
The Madison  Catholic Association Clubhouse (Catholic Clubhouse) was built in 1938 at a cost of $47,000. Designed by Madison architect John Flad, it is an eclectic building. It shows the influence of two Period Revival styles: the Elizabethan Revival and Mediterranean Revival . . . 

The marker is No. 121 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission


The building is now home to Capitol Chophouse.


The building and marker are located in Madison, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment