© Photographed October 18, 2015
Black Earth, Dane County, Wisconsin
ELVERS CORNER - VERMONT TOWNSHIP
This corner has a colorful background as the site of a saw mill, grist mill, post office, grocery store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and until 1958 the Town Hall.
In 1847 Samuel Lattimer built a saw mill that operated until 1865 when it was converted to a grist mill. In 1876 the mill passed to Charles Elver. In 1877 John Lohrs build a two-story frame store and hotel opposite the mill. On September 14, 1878 a post office named Elvers was established here.
The marker is located at the T-intersection of County Highway J where it merges with County Highway Jj, at or near 6123 County Highway J, Black Earth, Wisconsin 53515.
Looking northwest along County Highway J.
The marker is located in within the city limits of Black Earth, Wisconsin.