Collegiate Church of St. John

 © Photographed September 4, 2014
Erected by The Dekoven Center
Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin
42.705486,-87.786173
Google Map

COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF ST. JOHN
St. John's Chapel was built in 1864 at the center of what was to become the college's quadrangle. In the antiphonal style, rows of pews face the center aisle. On the north and south walls, stained glass windows depict Christ's apostles. At the rear of the nave is a choir left and pipe organ. The cream brick building's steep gables are trimmed with ornamental brickwork, as are the windows and entrances. The exterior bottom of the chapel is studded with 86 class memorials dating from 1869-1929.

School life centered around daily services as part of life at Racine College. Students attended chapel twice a day and vested choir sang during evensong.

The Rev. Dr. Roswell Park, the founder and first president of Racine College, is buried to the east of the chapel. On the south side of the chapel is the tomb of the Rev. Dr. James DeKoven, the second president of Racine College and an Anglican Saint.
Collegiate Church of St. John is located on the campus of The DeKoven Center, located at




Click here to view all markers located at The DeKoven Center.



 The marker is at the south-side entrance to the church.

 The south-side entrance to the church.

 The pathway leading to the south-side entrance to the church.

 The west side of the church.

 The east (to the right) and south (to the left) sides of the church.

On the south side of the chapel is the tomb of the Rev. Dr. James DeKoven,
the second president of Racine College and an Anglican Saint.

Rev. James De Koven at Racine College (1879 or earlier)
This media file is in the public domain.
Click here for more information.

 The east side of the church.


The Buildings of Racine College (1876)
Collegiate Church of St. John is visible in the center of the sketch.

 View of Lake Michigan,
directly across from entrance to The DeKoven Center.

The Gymnasium and Natatorium is located on the grounds
of The DeKoven Center in Racine, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment