© Photographed October 17, 2015
Oregon, Dane County, Wisconsin
101 South Main Street
John P. Connor Building
The marker is located on southbound Main Street, at its intersection with Jefferson Street / Janesville Street / County Highway MM, at or near 101 South Main Street, Oregon, Wisconsin 53575.The two-story red brick commercial vernacular building with Romanesque Revival inspired decorative brickwork is accented with light-colored stone. The original storefront was uncovered in 1998 and remains intact. The second story windows are replacements.Brothers John P. and Bernard F. Connor were operating a general store in Oregon by 1895. in 1903, J.P.'s sons, John and Bernard, joined the firm and continued the business after J.P.'s death. The Connor building shows many simulations to the McDermott block. The J.P. Connor General Store was in business until c. 1924. In 1926, Edward G. Booth and son Gerald, purchased the building. They began as a furniture store and expanded that business to include the 1873 Lindsey Funeral Home. The E.G. Booth & Son Furniture Store and furniture business continued in the building until c. 1941. The firm owned the building until at least 1955.
The marker (not visible in this photo) is at the entrance
to the far right, beneath the green awning.
A beautiful little village!
The marker is at the entrance to Holstein Kitchen.
The building and marker are located in Oregon, Wisconsin.