The University Library

© Photographed September 14, 2015
Erected 1987 by The Friends of the UWM Golda Meir Library
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 4.608′ N, 87° 52.84′ W

THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee was formed in September, 1956 when the Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee merged with the University of Wisconsin's Extension Center in Milwaukee. The combined library holdings of 114,000 volumes were housed in Mellencamp Hall. In 1967 library collections were moved to the first stage of the present facility, the first entirely carpeted and air conditioned building on campus. The building design won awards from the Wisconsin Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and from the Milwaukee Art Commission. From 1967 to 1980 the library provided 24-hour services, seven days each week.

In the middle 1960's the entire collection was reclassified from the Decimal System to the Library of Congress Classification. In May, 1973, a faculty referendum established that all library services would be centralized in a single physical facility. The second  stage of the library was completed in 1974. In the fall of 1972, the library added its one-millionth item. The one-millionth volume was added to the library collections in academic year 1976-77.

In 1978, in a move unique in the history of American universities, the 600,000 items in the American Geographical Society Collection were transferred from New York City to the UWM Library. In 1979 the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System approved the naming of the UWM Library building in honor  of the late Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir, once a student at UWM's predecessor institution.

The third stage of library construction began in 1985 and was completed in 1987. Library collections numbered over 3.4 million cataloged items. All but rare or valuable items and reserved readings are housed in open stacks for maximum user access. The Golda Meir Library incorporates the latest advances in educational and technology and computer applications. The library staff is dedicated to maintaining, enlarging, and making accessible the informational materials and research resources that support the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's programs of teaching, research, and public service.
This plaque is a gift of
The Friends of the UWM Golda Meir Library
October 28, 1987

[NOTE: Paragraphs added for ease in reading.]
The marker is located inside the Golda Meir Library on the UW-Milwaukee Campus, at 2311 East Hartford Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211.

NOTE: The marker is inside the library; the only way to access the marker is to visit the library when it is open.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries 

See also, Marker 256: Golda Meir 1898-1978, also at this location.


Enter the West Wing of the library to access the marker.
The marker is mounted to the wall, to your right.
 
 The marker is at the Golda Meir Library at the UW-Milwaukee campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment