The First House on the East Side of Milwaukee / LeClaire's Trading Post

 © Photographed September 13, 2015
Erected 1903 by Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 2.338′ N, 87° 54.59′ W

The first house on the east side
of Milwaukee was built on this site
in the year 1800 by
Antoine LeClaire as a trading post,
the log house shown on the left
of this view:
The log cabin, stockade and store
on the right were erected by
Solomon Juneau in 1825
In 1835 Juneau built a large
warehouse which in 1851 was replaced
by Ludington's brick block
and the latter by the
present building in 1891

This tablet was erected under the
supervision of the
Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County
by Capt. Frederick Pabst
in 1903

The marker is located on the east bank of the Milwaukee River, affixed to the entrance of John Hawk's Pub, along the Milwaukee River Walk, about a hundred feet north of its intersection with East Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202.

See also, Marker 284: Wisconsin's Oldest Newspaper, also at this location.



 The marker is at the entrance to John Hawk's Pub.

 Looking west across the Milwaukee River from the marker location.

The marker is located on the east bank of the Milwaukee River,
along the Milwaukee River Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment