Foundation of the Felician Sisters in America in 1874

© Photographed September 26, 2015
Custer, Portage County, Wisconsin
44.569158,-89.415704

This place in Polonia, Wisconsin
marks the foundation of the
Felician Sisters in America 1874
How great are thy works O Lord
Ps. 91:6

The marker is located on the southeast corner of Church Street and County Highway K, at or near 7381 Church Street, Custer, Wisconsin 54423.

Wikipedia: Felician Sisters
The Felician Sisters (officially known as the Congregation Of Sisters Of St. Felix Of Cantalice Third Order Regular Of St. Francis Of Assisi (CSSF)) is a religious institute of pontifical right whose members profess public vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience and follow the evangelical way of life in common. This active-contemplative religious institute was founded in Warsaw, Poland, in 1855, by Sophia Truszkowska, and named for a shrine of St. Felix, a 16th-century Franciscan saint especially devoted to children.
The foregoing text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

This location is included on Portage County's Polish Heritage Trail.




Polski: Zdjęcie Marii Angeli Truszkowskiej, July 1899
This media file is in the public domain.
Click here for more information.

This stone fence was painstakingly constructed by a handy man
and the children from the orphanage.
Looking north along County Highway K . . .

Looking north along County Highway K . . .



This beautiful barn is also on the property.

Saint Clare Convent



Sacred Heart Church, Site of the First Polish Settlement in Wisconsin,
the church affiliated with Saint Claire Convent.

No comments:

Post a Comment