UW Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences: Revolutionizing Animal Reproduction

© Photographed August 1, 2015
Erected April 2001 by UW Foundation
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.581′ N, 89° 24.913′ W

University of Wisconsin Madison
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

REVOLUTIONIZING ANIMAL REPRODUCTION
Techniques of assisted reproduction, particularly of cattle, have revolutionized animal breeding practices worldwide. University of Wisconsin biochemists Henry Lardy and Paul Phillips developed methods for dilution and long-term preservation of sperm. Reproductive biologist Lester E. Casida pioneered studies leading to control of the estrous cycle, ovulation, and oocyte maturation, and conducted the first embryo transfer that resulted in the birth of a calf. This work, conducted from the 1930s to the 1970s, laid the foundation for in-vitro embryo production, cloning, and transgenic production widely used today.
The marker is located in front of the Animal Sciences Building on eastbound Observatory Drive, east of its intersection with Elm Drive, at 1675 Observatory Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706.

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus can be harrowing. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.


UW-Madison Map and Parking







The marker is located on the campus of University of Wisconsin-Madison.

No comments:

Post a Comment