UW Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences: Scientific Approach to Agriculture

© Photographed August 1, 2015
Erected April 2001 by UW Foundation
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.505′ N, 89° 24.906′ W

University of Wisconsin Madison
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

SCIENTIFIC APPROACH TO AGRICULTURE
In 1893 the College of Agriculture's emerging science-based approach to agriculture was emphatically demonstrated to farmers and Wisconsin citizens by the postmortem verification of a tuberculosis test for cattle. Organized by University of Wisconsin bacteriologist Harry L. Russell, the slaughter of the exceptionally fine University dairy herd verified the accuracy of the test to a doubting audience. Acceptance of the test helped pave the way to control of tuberculosis in animals and humans. Russell, who succeeded William A. Henry as dean in 1907, was known as the "Science Dean" because of his emphasis on research.
The marker is located in front of Stock Pavilion on eastbound Linden Drive, east of its convergence with Elm Drive, at or near 1675 Linden Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706.

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus can be harrowing. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.


UW-Madison Map and Parking


Click here for a list of all markers located on the UW-Madison campus.



The marker is located on the campus of UW Madison.

No comments:

Post a Comment