UW Madison Bascom Hill Historic District: The Power of Ideas

© Photographed August 1 and October 3, 2015
Erected by UW Foundation
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.075418,-89.403879

University of Wisconsin Madison
Bascom Hill Historic District

THE POWER OF IDEAS
As president of the University of Wisconsin from 1903 to 1918, Charles Van Hise championed a mission of public service that became known as the Wisconsin Idea. Calling for professors to share the wealth of their teaching and research, Van Hise declared that he would "never be content until the beneficent influence of the university reaches every family in the state." Campus leaders have been guided ever since by this moral imperative that the university should work for the benefit of all.
The marker is located in front of Bascom Hall on the UW-Madison campus, on southbound Lincoln Drive, south of its intersection with Observatory Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706.




See also, Marker 413: Van Hise Rock, Van Hise Rock and Van Hise Rock, related markers in Rock Springs (Sauk County).

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus is pretty intense. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.


UW-Madison Map and Parking

Click here for a list of all markers located on the UW-Madison campus.



Charles R. Van Hise (1857-1918)
This media file is in the public domain.

The marker is at the far-right entrance to Bascom Hall.

The marker is located to the right of the main entrance to Bascom Hall.

This statue of Abraham Lincoln is also at this location.

The marker (not visible in this photo) is to the right of Abraham Lincoln.

Illustration of the State University of Madison
(now Bascom Hill Historic District),
from the 1885 edition of the Wisconsin Blue Book.
This media file is in the public domain.

The marker is located on the UW-Madison campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment