UW Madison Bascom Hill Historic District: On The Air

© Photographed August 1, 2015
Erected by UW Foundation
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.075557,-89.401423
Google Map

University of Wisconsin Madison
Bascom Hill Historic District

 ON THE AIR
In 1919, a group of students and professors gathered in the basement of Sterling Hall to transmit some of the earliest educational programming over the airwaves. Their regular broadcasts became the foundation of WHA, one of the oldest radio stations in continuous operation in the United States. A pioneer in using this new medium to teach its listeners, the station aired lectures, lessons and the world's first on-air sing-along, led in 1922 by Edgar "Pop" Gordon. For decades, it brought the university into the households of thousands around the state and nation.
This marker is made possible by a grant from the UW Foundation.

The marker is located on the UW-Madison campus on the Bascom Hill Mall, on near the south side of the Science Building, at or near 550 North Park Street, Madison Wisconsin 53706.

NOTE: There is no parking near the marker location. Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus is pretty intense. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.


UW-Madison Map and Parking

Click here for a list of all markers located on the UW-Madison campus.


With the School of Education building in the background.

With the Science Hall visible to the right.

The Statue of Abraham Lincoln at the top of Bascom Hill Mall.

Illustration of the State University of Madison
(now Bascom Hill Historic District),
from the 1885 edition of the Wisconsin Blue Book.
This media file is in the public domain.

The marker is located on the UW-Madison campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment