U.S.S. Ray (SS 271)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628
Google Map

U.S.S. RAY
(SS 271)
Keel laid 20 july 1942
Launched 28 February 1942
Commissioned 27 July 1943
On 15 August 1942 the U.S.S. RAY departed Milne Bay, New Guinea, to begin her first patrol. During her sixth patrol. she and Navy aircraft shared credit for sinking a 14,000 ton heavy cruiser. The RAY was credited with sinking 12 additional vessels totalling 49,185 tons during her 6 patrols. She also rescued 23 American airmen. She earned the Asiatic-Pacific Area Service Medal, 7 Battle Stars, the Navy Unit Commendation, and the Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation Badge during these patrols. On 10 September 1958 the RAY was decommissioned and put in reserve. She was stricken from the Naval Register on 1 April 1960.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.


From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Ray (SS 271) marker is on the left.

This photo of the Ray (SS-271) underway, was probably taken shortly after her conversion to a Migraine III radar picket in late 1952. The bridge lacks the "wings" seen in later photos that were added to increase visibility aft while maneuvering alongside the pier. The YE-3 aircraft homing beacon that is installed on a mast on the aft deck was removed not long after she was returned to service in favor of the new TACAN system. A close look at the photo shows what appears to be an attempt at censoring. This would explain the lack of antennae on the BPS-2 on the sail, the BPS-3 on the deck, and the YE-3 at the same time.
Text courtesy of David Johnston, (USNR)
This media file is in the public domain.

 runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background)

is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment