U.S.S. Mapiro (SS 376)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628

U.S.S. MAPIRO
(SS 376)
Keel laid 30 May 1944
Launched 9 November 1944
Commissioned 30 April 1945
On 4 August 1946 the U.S.S. MAPIRO departed Pearl Harbor to begin her first patrol. She arrived at Safpan, Marfana Islands, on 15 August 1945, the day the Japanese Government surrendered. The MAPIRO returned to the San Francisco Bay area and on 16 March 1946 was decommissioned on 18 March 1960 she was transferred to Turkey where she served under the name, PERI REIS.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.


From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Mapiro (SS 376) marker is on the right.

USS Mapiro (SS-376), as TCG Piri Reis (S-343),
post March 1960 after transfer to Turkey.
This media file is in the public domain.

With the Manitowoc River visible to the right.

runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment