U.S.S. Loggerhead (SS 374)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628

U.S.S. LOGGERHEAD
(SS 374)
Keel Laid 1 April 1944
Launched 13 August 1944
Commissioned 9 February 1945
On 15 May 1945 the U.S.S. LOGGERHEAD left Pearl Harbor to begin her first patrol. The LOGGERHEAD conducted 2 patrols and was not credited with any sinkings. On 14 September 1945 she was bound for San Francisco and was designated for ultimate assignment to the inactive Pacific Fleet. In 1960 the LOGGERHEAD was assigned to the U.S. Naval Reserve as a training ship. In 1962 she was designated AGSS, Auxiliary Submarine Assigned Special Duties. The LOGGERHEAD was stricken from the Naval Register in 1967.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.


From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Loggerhead (SS 374) marker is on the right.

 Loggerhead (SS-374), underway during sea trials on Lake Michigan, winter 1944.
This media file is in the public domain.

With the Manitowoc River visible to the right.

runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment