U.S.S. Lizardfish (SS 373)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628
Google Map

U.S.S. LIZARDFISH
(SS 373)
Keel Laid 14 March 1944
Launched 16 July 1944
Commissioned 30 December 1944
On 9 April 1945 the U.S.S. LIZARDSHIP departed Pearl Harbor to begin her first patrol. The LIZARDFISH was credited with sinking one vessel, a submarine chaser, during her 2 patrols. She earned the Asiatic-Pacific Area Service Medal and 1 Battle Star during her 2 patrols. Following her return to the United States, she was decommissioned and put in reserve on 24 June 1946. The LIZARDFISH was assigned to the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard on 16 March 1959 to be fitted-out with a snorkel. On 9 January 1960 she was transferred to Italy where she served under the name, EVANTELISTA TORRICELLI.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.


From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Lizardfish (SS 373) marker is on the left.

Starboard side view of the ex-Lizardfish (SS-373)
as the Italian Evangelista Torricelli (S-512) underway, circa 1960
This media file is in the public domain.
Click here for more information.

runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment