U.S.S. Lamprey (SS 372)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628
Google Map

U.S.S. LAMPREY
(SS 372)
Keel Laid 22 February 1944
Launched 18 June 1944
Commissioned 17 November 1944
On 17 February 1945 the U.S.S. LAMPREY departed Pearl Harbor to begin her first patrol off the coast of Luzon in the Philippines. The LAMPREY's second patrol was conducted in the Gulf of Siam. On her third patrol she sank a small craft with gunfire in the Singapore area. During this patrol she received word of the war's end. The LAMPREY earned the Asiatic-Pacific Area Service Medal and 4 Battle Stars during her 3 patrols. She was decommissioned on 3 June 1946. On 21 July 1960 the LAMPREY was transferred to Argentina where she served under the name, SANTIAGO DEL ESTERO.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.


From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Lamprey (SS 372) marker is on the right.

Lamprey (SS-372), finds her weight and rights herself immediately after launching
at Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, WI., 18 June 1944
This media file is in the public domain.
runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment