U.S.S. Kraken (SS 370)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628
Google Map

U.S.S. KRAKEN
(SS 370)
Keel Laid 14 December 1943
Launched 30 April 1944
Commissioned 8 September 1944
On 12 December 1944 the U.S.S. KRAKEN departed Pearl Harbor to begin her first patrol, during which she rescued a downed American airman. She earned 1 Battle Star and was not credited with sinking any vessels over 500 tons during her 4 patrols. The KRAKEN returned to the United States for inactivation on  4 February 1946. She was decommissioned and put in reserve on 4 May 1946. On 24 October 1959 the KRAKEN was transferred to Spain where she served under the name, ALMIRANTE GARCIA DE LOS REYES.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.

From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Kraken (SS 370) marker is on the right.

Balao (SS-285) off the Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, CA.,
following overhaul, 25 October 1944
This media file was in the public domain.

runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment