U.S.S. Hardhead (SS 365)

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628
Google Map

U.S.S. HARDHEAD
(SS 365)
Keel Laid 7 July 1943
Launched 12 December 1943
Commissioned 19 April 1944
On 27 July 1944 the U.S.S. HARDHEAD departed Pearl Harbor to begin her first patrol. On 23 June 1945 she sank 3 warships, including 2 submarine chasers. During her 6 patrols the HARDHEAD was credited with sinking 6 warships and 3 additional vessels for a total of 20,146 tons of shipping. She earned the Asiatic-Pacific Area Service Medal and 6 Battle Stars during these patrols. In January 1946 she was decommissioned and put in reserve. The HARDHEAD was recommissioned in 1953. On 26 July 1972 she was transferred to Greece where she served under the name, PAPANIKOUS.
The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.

From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008




The U.S.S. Hardhead (SS 365) marker is on the left.

Portside view of the Hardhead (SS-365) after Guppy conversion,
circa post May 1953. The ship was later transfered to the Hellenic Navy
in 1972 and served until 1993 as HS Papanikolis, S-114.
This media file is in the public domain.

runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment