Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

© Photographed August 16, 2015
Erected 1967 by City of Milwaukee Landmarks Commission
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 2.65′ N, 87° 55.37′ W

The
TRINITY EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
is listed in the
NATIONAL REGISTER
of HISTORIC PLACES
 May 8, 1979
The State Historical Society of Wisconsin
in association with the U.S. Department of Interior

The church is located on northbound North 9th Street, at its intersection with West Highland Avenue, at 1046 North 9th Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233.

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
The church website . . .

Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory
1046 North 9th Street, Milwaukee County, Milwaukee
Historic Name: Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
Reference Number: 27249
Year Built: 1878
Additions: 1880
Survey Date:1984
Architectural Style: High Victorian Gothic
Wall Material: Cream Brick
Architect: Frederick Velguth
National Register Listing Date: 1979-05-08
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
THIS CHURCH IS THE "MOTHER" CHURCH OF LUTHERANISM IN MILWAUKEE; CONGREGATION WAS FORMED IN 1847
With its impressive brickwork and stone trim outside, and its ornate woodwork inside, Trinity was heralded as the "finest church edifice within the Missouri Synod" soon after its consecration. Two towers of uneven height dominate the west (Ninth Street) facade. Real Medieval churches commonly built towers only when money became available, so style could show when a second tower was built. Trinity's faceted spires reappear in the pinnacles of the sounding board, capping this beautiful display of woodworking. The design may have been borrowed from a similar pulpit in Germany's Wartburg Chapel, where Martin Luther took refuge in the sixteenth century.
The foregoing content used with permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

See also, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, also at this location.







Screenshots of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com



 The north side of the building.

 The east side of the building.


The magnificent edifice is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment