The Story of Fish Camp

© Photographed August 15, 2015
Erected by Dane County Parks
McFarland, Dane County, Wisconsin
42° 58.968′ N, 89° 15.913′ W
Google Map

The story of
Fish Camp
 fighting Wisconsin's first invasive fish
[The story is told on the small brown plaques below the carp;
see the plaques and transcriptions below]

The marker is located at Fish Camp Park and is accessible from eastbound Fish Camp Road, east of its intersection with County Highway AB, at or near 3383 Fish Camp Road, Mc Farland Wisconsin 53558.

Dane County Parks: Fish Camp Park

Click here to view all markers at Fish Camp Launch (there are several).



1877
Germany and begins raising them.

1880
Nine Springs (now Nevin) Fish Hatchery in Madison receives 75 carp from the U.S. Fisheries Commission.
1880-1894
Carp raised at Madison's fish hatchery are stocked in Wisconsin waters, most in Madison's chain of lakes.
1895
Carp introduction is halted when it becomes clear the fish are harming the state's sport fishery.

1899
The Wisconsin Fisheries Commission issues permits to harvest common carp.
1912
The Wisconsin Fisheries Commission contracts with commercial fishers to remove carp.

1934
Wisconsin Conservation Department funds removal of carp and other rough fish by establishing fish camps.
1937
The Corn House and Net House are built to support a fish camp several miles up the Yahara River.

1954
Fish Camp becomes a full-scale operation when the nearby Yahara River camp relocates here.
1969
Fish Camp closes because the carp market is no longer economical.

1976
Fish Camp County Park opens to the public for lake recreation.
The south side of The Corn House -- note the ramp . . .

. . . the end of The Corn House ramp leads into Lake Kegnosa.

Looking across Lake Kegnosa from The Corn House.

Plenty of parking to access the marker.

 Follow the signs to the Canoe Launch to access the marker.

The marker is located at Fish Camp Park in McFarland, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment