Last Run of the U.S.S. Cobia

© Photographed August 22, 2015
Erected by The Manitowoc Company
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.092595,-87.655628

U.S.S. COBIA SS-245
Last Run of the U.S.S. Cobia
The U.S.S. Cobia was towed to Manitowoc on August 17, 1970 and was moved 400 yards upriver from there. There she remained until May 28, 1986 when she made her "Last Run" to this site. This most recent relocation of the U.S.S. Cobia and the construction of her new berth were made possible, in part, by major gifts from:
RADm. William T. Nelson, USN (Ret)
Charles L. Wedel, ENC (SS) USN (Ret)
U.S.S. COBIA (SS245) (COB) 1959-1961
[see additional names on photos below]

The marker is located on the north bank of the Milwaukee River, on The Manitowoc County 28 Boat Memorial Walk, adjacent to the U.S.S. Cobia (a National Historic Landmark), at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, at 75 Maritime Drive, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.


From modest beginnings in 1902 as a small shipbuilding and ship-repair company  in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, through two world wars building ships and submarines for the U.S. Navy, to today – a  global leader in cranes and foodservice equipment – The Manitowoc Company is here to stay. The vision of Manitowoc’s  founding fathers, coupled with its core values of Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence,  have made Manitowoc a strong, respected organization throughout the world.  The Manitowoc team is Building Something Real for its customers, investors, employees, and partners with over 100 manufacturing, service, or distribution facilities in 20 countries. 

Publication compiled by Dan Ross’ history classes, Kewaskum High School, 2008

The Last Run of the U.S.S. Cobia marker is on the right.


The marker is at the middle of The Manitowoc Company 28 Boat Memorial Walk.

Names of additional donors:


runs the length of the U.S.S. Cobia (visible in the background).


is located in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment