© Photographed August 31, 2015
Painted 2009 by "Sampson"
Painted 2009 by "Sampson"
Black River Falls, Jackson County, Wisconsin
Shortly after the Great Depression Lorenz and Amy Krueger, along with sons Harvey and Robert (Tubby) sold their cheese-making business near Alma Center and moved to the Brockway Township where they ran a gasoline service station and small diner. About 1940 they gradually moved the business to 36 Water St. downtown Black River Falls, serving the public 24 hours a day. Kruegers [sic] Service closed only part of a single day in a span of 63 years, the day of Lorenz's funeral. The doors were closed for good July 31, 2003, when Tubby was violently assaulted in one of the service bays. During it's [sic] time, the family business involved taxis, gas, general service, boats and motors, wrecker, snowmobiles and tires. Jackson Co. is proud of Krueger's long history and years of dedicated service.
The mural is located on the west side of a building, and is accessible from southbound North 1st Street, at its intersection with Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 54, at or near 103 Main Street, Black River Falls, Wisconsin 54615.
Jackson County Chronicle (August 5, 2009): Man sentenced in 2003 robbery, beating of local business owner
Robert "Tubby" Krueger died in the special care unit at Pine View Care Center, his home since the 2003 assault that left him with severe brain injuries.
Take a stroll through history! The History murals displayed throughout downtown Black River Falls and Jackson County celebrate the history, culture, heritage and ethnicity of Jackson County. Contact the Black River Area Chamber of Commerce for detailed information at 800-404-4008.
Click here for a list of all murals photographed to date and to learn more about the mural project.
Lorenz & Amy, founders of Krueger's Service [sic] stand by limousine
used to transport passengers to & from "400" train station at Merrillian.
Tubby rescued thousands of motorists during his career
in the towing business.
New Cities Service station built in 1956 featured four pumps of "regular" &
"high test" gasoline. The Krueger brothers were known for their extensive supply
of new & used tires during the 70's through 90's.
Taxis were a big part of the business in the 1950's.
Many a friendly game of nickel and dine cards took
place in the "backroom" of the station.
Harvey (far right), along with help from Lorenz (left) & Tubby.
sold & serviced fishing & recreation boats, including trailers, through-
out the 50's & 60's. Harvey was also a Scorpion snowmobile dealer in the
60's & early 70's.
Amy, a cat lover, handled taxi & wrecker
dispatch duties & was affectionately called "Ma" by many
regular customers. She also drove taxi, loved Elvis, & was
a [sic] avid fan of the local stock car races.
The mural is located in Black River Falls, Wisconsin.