Erected by 2015 by the Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
FOREST HILL CEMETERY
& EFFIGY MOUND GROUP
1857 - 1862 & C. 500 - 1000 A.D.
Forest Hill is an intact example of the rural cemetery movement of the 19th century, in which cemeteries were located in a park-like setting that also served as a place for strolling, picnics, quiet recreation and contemplation. Many centuries before, early native Americans used this beautiful site for their burial and effigy mounds. In the early 1900s, three mounds were destroyed by cemetery expansion. The surviving mounds have co-existed near graves of Madisonians without further disturbance.
The marker is located just past the entrance to Forest Hill Cemetery, on southbound Dido Albert Federowick Memorial Drive, just south of its intersection with Speedway Road, at or near
View from the entrance to the cemetery;
the marker is visible in the distance, to the left.