© Photographed August 1, 2015
Belleville, Dane County, Wisconsin
42° 51.535′ N, 89° 31.982′ W
The marker is located at Belleville Library Park at the intersection of South Park Street / Wisconsin Route 92 and East Pearl Street, Belleville, Wisconsin 53508.Finding a mill site on the Sugar River, founder John Frederick settled here in 1845. His mill prompted "Yankee" settlement and a village developed with a hotel/tavern, blacksmith, harness maker and general store.
In 1847 an octagon-shaped school was erected followed by the formation of Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
In 1851 the village was platted and named for Frederick's native place, Belleville, Canada West. A post office was established in 1852. In the 1850s and 60s Swiss, Irish and French groups acquired adjacent farm lands.
The 70s and 80s brought new growth with a library, opera house and railroad. By 1900 a fire department and high school were part of the flourishing village.
See also, Library Park and Bellevelle Village Hall, on the reverse side of this marker.
A second, identical marker on the other side of the park.
"Park Hotel", across from the East Main Street-side of the park.
The train depot, across from the East Pearl Street-side of the park.
The marker is located at Village of Belleville Library Park.