City of Omro Historical Tour



THIS POST UNDER CONSTRUCTION


"Strolling through Omro's Past"

In 1995, partly with Federal funds from the National Park Service, the U.S. Department of Interior, and assistance from the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, the Omro Area Historical Society developed "Strolling through Omro's Past" -- an historical marker walking / driving tour of 51 Omro historical properties. Wisconsin Historical Markers took this tour on September 22, 2014. Sadly, more than half of the markers are missing and many more are illegible. In addition, several of the properties are in disrepair and content on a number of markers is no longer accurate.

Even with all the changes during the past 20 years, the "Strolling through Omro's Past" tour remains quite enjoyable. Omro is home to many fabulous buildings of various architectural styles, including several churches, the town hall, a woolen mill, an octagon house from the Civil War era, and a seven-story watch tower once used to monitor a silver fox farm and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In 2000, the Wisconsin Historical Society erected its own historical marker, "Historic Omro", at Omro's historic H.C. Scott Park. It is included in the tour.

Omro's downtown is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It has recently been designated a "Wisconsin Main Street Program"
(http://www.omro-wi.com/future-omro-chamber-main-street-program.html) and plans are afoot to update the walking tour and markers.

Click here for a PDF copy of the 1995 list of 51 properties on the "Strolling through Omro's Past" tour and a transcription of their respective historical marker content.

As an aside, Omro's pronounced "AHM-row" (pronounce wrong and it's a dead giveaway you're not from Wisconsin!).


Historic Omro on the Fox: Historical Walking Tour


No. 1

Historic Omro

No. 2
Omro Woolen Mill (1874-1875)
251 East Main Street

 No. 3
Anton Bang Meat Market (1927)
115 E. Main Street

Albatross Historical Mural

No. 4
W.W. Race Building (1871)
109 East Main Street

No. 5
Nathaniel Frank Building (1881)
103 East Main Street

No. 6
The Fountain Inn Hotel (ca. 1900-1913)
101-103 West Main Street

No. 7

No. 8

No. 9

 No. 10


No. 11
Northwestern Hotel (ca. 1874)
207 W. Main Street




No. 13

No. 14

No. 15
Day & Phillips Building (ca. 1887-1892)
100 West Main Street

No. 16

No. 17

No. 18
Omro City Hall

No. 19

No. 20

No. 25

No. 31

No. 32

No. 44

No. 49
Samson Challoner Octagon House
3880 E. 2nd Street
[there is no marker at this location]

No. 50
Omro Cemetery (1846)
2284 Waukau Road

No. 51
Cole's Watch Tower (ca. 1871)
7631 Wisconsin Highway 21
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
[there is no marker at this location]

No comments:

Post a Comment