© Photographed August 15, 2015
Oregon, Dane County, Wisconsin
121 South Main Street
Dr. Issac Howe Drugstore
NOTE: Content transcribed exactly as written, without correction of errors in spacing, punctuation, and redundancy ("front facade").This commercial vernacular building was finished with cream brick and enriched with Italianate-influenced decorative brickwork. Around 1907, the front facade was updated with glazed white and red brick. Later, c. 1940, the current orange brick veneer was installed.Dr. Howe was born in Vermont and graduated from the Vermont Medical College in 1849. He settled in Wisconsin in 1851. In 1865, he opened a drug store and grocery store with his brother, C. M. Howe, in Stoughton. The Howe's moved the business to Oregon in 1866, but the partnership dissolved in 1869. Dr. Issac Howe had a store built on this site in 1876; it burned in the 1880 fire. The existing buildings were then erected. Around 1907 Lydia Meloy bought the building and A.M. Anderson's grocery and general store moved in, remaining there until c.1924. Anderson was succeeded by Arthur Ames' general store until c.1941. Ames purchased the building from Meloy's estate between 1945 and 1950, retaining ownership until c.1965.
The marker and building are located on southbound South Main Street, south of its intersection with Janesville Street, at 121 South Main Street, Oregon, Wisconsin 53575.
The small plaque is mounted to the facade,
and is visible to the far right.
The marker is located in Oregon, Wisconsin.