© Photographed August 15, 2015
Oregon, Dane County, Wisconsin
115 South Main Street
Charles Eugene Powers Building
In form, this late-nineteenth century commercial vernacular, two-story, brick building retains cast-iron columns on its storefront, segmental-arched windows with pronounced keystones at the second story, and decorative brickwork at the cornice.Erected in 1877 to house his confectionery and jewelry store, C.E. Powers was in business at this location for 26 years, selling the building in 1903. by 1908 Arthur Criddle's drugstore had moved into the building and was in operation as the Oregon Drug Company as late as 1928. In 1945, Axel Johnson purchased the building which he continued to own until c.1950.From 1908 until 1914 the Powers building was the home of Oregon's first library, located on the second floor.
The marker and building are located on southbound South Main Street, south of its intersection with Janesville Street, at 115 South Main Street, Oregon, Wisconsin 53575.
The small plaque is mounted to the facade,
and is visible to the far right.
The building and marker are located in Oregon, Wisconsin.