112 Janesville Street / George Montgomery & Charles Martin Building 1899

© Photographed August 15, 2015
Oregon, Dane County, Wisconsin
42.925915,-89.384386

112 Janesville Street
George Montgomery & Charles Martin Building
1899
A late-nineteenth century commercial vernacular form, this two-story frame edifice was dressed with metal siding. It features pressed metal window hoods at the second story and a pressed metal cornice. This building housed the Montgomery and Martin Saloon until c. 1903 and another, the Buof Brewing Company Saloon, until 1910. Montgomery moved out of the area when the buisness was sole in c.1910. Charles Martin started a cigar-rolling business, located on the second floor of the Netherwood building. In 1910, E.F. Kramer purchased the Oregon Observer moving his newspaper business into the building, where it continued until c.1998. Kramer owned the building from c.1925 until c.1955. This building remained in the Kramer family until c.1965.
The marker and building are located on southbound Janesville Street, south of its intersection with South Main Street, at 112 Janesville Street, Oregon, Wisconsin 53575.

The small plaque is affixed to the facade,
and is visible to the right between the window and the door.

The marker is affixed to facade of the middle building.

Downtown Oregon, circa 1922, with the building visible to the far left.
On the wall inside the Welcome Center (used with permission),
located at the Oregon Water Tower and Pump House.


The building and marker are located in Oregon, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment