© Photographed October 17, 2015
Oregon, Dane County, Wisconsin
109 South Main Street
Bernard M. McDermott Building
This two-story, red brick edifice, accented with light-colored stone, is the simplest of the three Romanesque buildings in the district. The storefront has been altered. The brick banded with white stone that frames the storefront remains. Four brick plasters divide the second story into thirds and terminate in a stepped parapet. The central section features a pair of flat-arched windows with stone lintels, surmounted by a pair of small, round-arched windows with stone surrounds and stone panels with raised lettering.McDermott was born in Vermont and settled in Oregon in 1881. He operated a general store in the Village until his death in 1901. McDermott's sons, George and William, succeeded him in business. The McDermott's Sons General Store continued until at least 1928. Later tenants were regional or national franchises and included the Kroger Grocery, Flex (c. 1940), Gamble and Ben Franklin. The McDermott family owned the building until c. 1950.
The marker is located on southbound Main Street, south of its intersection with Jefferson Street / Janesville Street / County Highway MM, at or near 109 South Main Street, Oregon, Wisconsin 53575.
The small marker is mounted to the facade, visible to the right.
The building and marker are located in Oregon, Wisconsin.