WRL 91: Dwight Foster Home

© Photographed July 20, 2015
Wisconsin Registered Landmark approved October 1, 1971
Fort Atkinson, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
42.923055,-88.834681
Google Map

Dwight Foster Home

Built in 1841 by Charles Rockwell.
The Foster Family, first permanent
white settlers in Jefferson County,
arrived in 1836.

Restored by the Fort Atkinson Historical
Society in 1971

The Foster House is on the grounds of the Hoard Historical Museum and is accessible from southbound Foster Street, south of its intersection with South 4th Street East, at or near 414 Foster Street, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin 53538.

NOTE: A plaque was ordered by the Fort Atkinson Historical Society, identifying the property as a Wisconsin Registered Landmark, but the plaque was not located at the time of my visit. The content of the plaque ordered is transcribed above.

The Dwight Foster House is now located on the grounds of the Hoard Historical Museum.

Hoard Historical Museum: The Foster House

From the Wisconsin Register Landmark Nomination form:
The Foster House is significant because it was the first frame house in Fort Atkinson, erected in 1841. The house, a typical Wisconsin farmhouse, is clapboard and flush siding, two story with a gabled roof. The one-story wing is in a remarkable state of preservation (in 1971). The house is described in several histories of Fort Atkinson, all of which are included in material at the Hoard Historical Museum Library.

After Dwight Foster died in 1871, the house was acquired by the Lengholff family who maintained it as a rental until 1969, when the land of which the house stood was sold. The house was moved to its present location to be preserved as an historic building.
Year Built: 1841
Architectural Style: Greek Revival
Structural System: Balloon Frame
National / State Register Listing: Merchants Avenue Historic District

This property is included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).



First photographed July 20, 2015.

These photos of the Foster House interior and exterior,
accompanied the Wisconsin Registered Landmark Nomination form (1971)
and used with generous permission of Hoard Historical Museum:









The Foster House is located in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment