Wisconsin School for the Deaf

© Photographed July 20, 2015
 Painted 2015
Sponsor: Wisconsin School for the Deaf Foundation
and Delavan-Darien Rotary
Project Leaders: Nancy Bennett and Jay Allen
Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin
42.632716,-88.642921
Google Map

WISCONSIN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
Laying the cornerstone of what would be a long and proud tradition of using American Sign Language - the visual and natural language of the deaf - in the approach to education, the Wisconsin School for the Deaf accepts its first student, Ariadna Cheseborh, in April 1852.

Thanks in large part to the efforts Ebenezer Cheseboro and other local businessmen, community leaders donated the tract of land on the western edge of Delavan that would eventually contain several buildings including dormitories, classrooms, a working farm, vocational shots, and housing for staff.

Throughout the ensuing years, WSD has nurtured and prepared hundreds of Wisconsin's deaf and hard of hearing children to achieve their full potential and become contributing and successful citizens in their own communities throughout Wisconsin and throughout the United States. In honor of the founding of WSD, the City of Delavan celebrates WSD Day annually on April 19th.
The mural is painted on the east side of the Family Dollar building on eastbound East Walworth Avenue / County Highway O / Wisconsin Highway 11, east of its intersection with South 4th Street, at or near 416 East Walworth Avenue, Delavan, Wisconsin 53115.

GazetteXtra (June 25, 2015): Spreading paint and happiness: Walldogs descend on Delavan

The mural is No. 15 in a series of Delavan Walldogs Murals.

See also, Marker 166: Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf, also in Delavan, Wisconsin.





This nearby State Historical Society "official" marker

The mural is No. 15 in a series of Delavan Walldogs Murals.


The mural is located in downtown Delavan, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment