© Photographed July 19, 2015
Erected by Whitewater Landmark Commission
Whitewater, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
White Library is accessible from westbound West Main Street / Old Highway 12, at its T-intersection with South 4th Street, at or near 402 West Main Street, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190.
The White Memorial Library is an example of simple classicism with its hip roof, entrance decorated with colossal ionic columns and full pediment over a wide frieze. This design is one of the standard library designs by the noted architectural firm of Claude and Starch of Madison. These architects were well known for their prairie style houses and the interior of this building is in this style. Mary Flavia White donated this building to the city for use by the Whitewater Free Library (1904 to 1992). It is now home to the Whitewater Cultural Arts Center and the Whitewater Public television station.
The foregoing content used with generous permission of Whitewater Landmarks Commission. All rights reserved.
The marker is on the stone to the right.
White Library is located in Whitewater, Wisconsin.