The Birthplace of the Greatest Show on Earth

© Photographed July 20, 2015
Painted June 2015 by Walldogs
Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin
42.633225,-88.643076
Google Map

The Birthplace of the
Greatest Show on Earth
It was at the site, in the year 1870, that William C. Coup conceived a plan to prganize what became the original P.T. Barnum Circle. The circus left Delavan on March 20, 1871, and quickly earned it's [sic] well-known title "The Greatest Show on Earth." A year later, in 1882, Coup put the Barnum Circus on rail cars and added a second and third ring to the performance. He is also credited with building the original Madison Square Garden and the New York Aquarium buried in Delavan's Spring Grove Cemetery.
The marker is located at the BMO Harris Bank parking log on westbound East Walworth Avenue / Wisconsin Highway 11, west of its intersection with North 5th Street, at or near






The marker is located in Dalavan, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment