Site #6: Ova Mound #2

© Photographed July 19, 2015
Whitewater, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
42.831337,-88.763061
Google Map

Site #6: Oval Mound #2
This second oval mound is part of the Linear type. The whole mounds group is known as the "Maples Group". The area that now forms this plain was a big pasture on the Maples stock farm. The area where the houses are, and the pathway leading to the first mound site was all flat fields at the time Charles Brown came to survey this group in 1920. The farm was later sold to the Trait family. This land became a park in 1970 when the City of White water purchased the property to protect the mounds from construction of Interstate US 12. Since 1926, much of the vegetation has grown up, turning a "savanna" (an open prairie with scattered oak and other large trees), into the woodland we have now.

In 1920, this mound measured at 37 feet wide and 66 feet long. The Johns/Stakal survey found its measurements to be 39 feet wide by 65 feet long.
The marker is located at Whitewater Effigy Mounds Preserve and is accessible from southbound South Indian Mound Parkway, south of its intersection with Old Highway 12 and at its T-intersection with Wildwood Road, at or near 288 South Indian Mound Parkway, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190.

GazetteXtra (April 30, 2011): Whitewater hopes to restore historical effigy mounds

Whitewater Effigy Mounds Preserve Map (PDF)




Follow this path to the effigy mounds and markers.

The entrance to Whitewater Effigy Mounds Preserve.



The marker is located at the Whitewater Effigy Mounds Preserve.

The preserve is located inside the residential community
of Mound Park Acres in Whitewater, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment