Peshtigo Fire Cemetery: Merkatoris

© Photographed July 25, 2015
Peshtigo, Marinette County, Wisconsin
45.055707,-87.753387
Google Map

MERKATORIS
 When the church bell sounded the fire alarm, Henry Merkatoris went out to the edge of town with the other men to try to stop the fire. Mrs. Merkatoris waited until the fire came into the city and when Henry failed to return she gathered her five children and cross the bridge to the east side. They all went into the river and clung to some logs until the fire subsided. In the morning all were fearful that Mr. Merkatoris had perished in the fire, but soon the family spotted Henry coming through the smoke and ashes. He had survived!
The marker is located at the Peshtigo Fire Cemetery, adjacent to the Peshtigo Fire Museum, located at 400 Oconto Avenue, Peshtigo, Wisconsin 54157.

The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.





The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
See also, The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery, for more information.

 The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery was honored with the first
"official" Wisconsin Historical Society marker, erected in 1951:
Marker 1: Peshtigo Fire Cemetery

 The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery is located next to the Peshtigo Fire Museum.




Follow the signs to the Peshtigo Fire Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment