Peshtigo Fire Cemetery: McDonald - McGregor

© Photographed July 25, 2015
Peshtigo, Marinette County, Wisconsin
45.055707,-87.753387
Google Map

McDonald - McGregor
On the night of the fire, Mr. McDonald took his wife and nine children to the company boarding house on the east side of the river and told them not to leave, thinking the river would act as a firebreak. In the course of the fire the boarding house and all its occupants were reduced to ashes, making recognition impossible. The same is true of the McGregors, although Dan McGregor's watch was found and the hands indicated five minutes after ten. It is believe that this monument is a memorial to those names it bears and that there are no bodies buried here.
The marker is located at the Peshtigo Fire Cemetery, adjacent to the Peshtigo Fire Museum, located at 400 Oconto Avenue, Peshtigo, Wisconsin 54157.

The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.





The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
See also, The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery, for more information.

 The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery was honored with the first
"official" Wisconsin Historical Society marker, erected in 1951:
Marker 1: Peshtigo Fire Cemetery

 The Peshtigo Fire Cemetery is located next to the Peshtigo Fire Museum.




Follow the signs to the Peshtigo Fire Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment