Mill Pond Park

© Photographed July 4, 2015
 Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43.180226,-88.11488
Google Map

MILL POND PARK
The historic mill pond in Mill Pond Park has been a prominent feature in the Village since 1838 when Garrett Vliet constructed a saw mill and dam near the present Lepper Dam. Three dams have been constructed on the site of the Vliet dam. The present Lepper Dam was reconstructed in 1954.

The mill pond is surrounded by two of the Village's oldest residential neighborhoods. Water Street, on the east side of the Mill Pond, was constructed in 1843 and is the oldest residential street in Menomonee Falls. The Water Street neighborhood contains the largest concentration of pre-Civil War houses in the Village. The Grand Avenue neighborhood on the west side of the Mill Pond was developed around 1886 as the first subdivision of the original Village plat. Reflecting the prosperity of the late 19th century and early 20th century. Grand Avenue was a prestigious address for Village merchants and professionals and was noted for its large homes and specious landscaped lots.
The marker is located at Mill Pond Park, on the east bank of Mill Pond, and is accessible from a parking lot located on northbound Grand Avenue, north of its intersection with Main Street, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin 53051.

The Village of Menomonee Falls: Mill Pond Park

With Mill Pond in the background.



The north end of Mill Pond and the Third Street Bridge.


The marker is located at Mill Pond Park in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment