Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill (1857-1900)

© Photographed July 10, 2015
 Mazomanie, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 10.49′ N, 89° 47.539′ W

LYNCH AND WALKER
FLOURING MILL
1857 - 1900
has been placed on the
NATIONAL REGISTER
OF HISTORIC PLACES
by the United States
Department of the Interior

The marker is located at the entrance to The Old Feed Mill Restaurant, located at 114 Cramer Street, Mazomanie, Wisconsin 53560.

Today the property is home to The Old Feed Mill, Mazomanie, Wisconsin's Premiere Dining
Dexter and I had lunch at The Old Feed Mill -- the food was delicious, the service awesome!

In 1857 George Lynch and George Walker, both of Milwaukee, constructed a flouring mill west of the millpond named Lake Marion. It was powered first by an iron waterwheel, sixteen feet in diameter, and later by smaller water turbines. The mill manufactured flour and offered custom milling.

In 1865 William Thompson bought the mill and expanded the operation into a three-story building with 'six-run-of-stone' employing twenty men. Edward Sanderson, a Milwaukee miller, made further improvements in 1876 and increased the capacity to 'eight-run-of-stone.' A group of local businessmen purchased the mill and, in 1885, installed a dynamo to generate electricity for lighting the downtown business district. Between 1888 and 1892 the mill also provided pressurized water to downtown mains for fire protection.

On January 1, 1900, the mill burned, possibly from incendiary origin. Henry Kirch purchased the ruins and rebuilt, using the remnant walls of the 1857 structure. His son, Nicholas, and later his son-in-law, Guy Dunlap, operated the mill until 1946. Then Harold Rochon, a son-in-law of Dunlap, took over. In all, the Kirch family ran the mill for sixty-six years.

After a flood destroyed the Lake Marion dam in March 1950, the use of water turbines was discontinued and the mill was converted to electric motor operation. In 1995 a restoration effort was completed and the mill's interior was remodeled for use as a restaurant, bakery, and gift shop.
National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin

These markers are also at this location:



 Lynch and Walker Mill -- about 1876

Lynch and Walker Mill -- about 1905

A display inside the building.


The building is now home to The Old Feed Mill Restaurant.

The marker is located at The Old Feed Mill.

Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill is located in Mazomanie, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment