Photographed July 10, 2015
Erected 2009 by the Kerl family and the Cross Plains-Berry Historical Society
Cross Plains, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 8.271′ N, 89° 39.344′ W
KERL SCHOOL (DIST. NO. 6)
The marker is located on southbound Otto Kerl Road, at its V-intersection with County Road Kp, at or near 5163 Otto Kerl Road, Cross Plains, Wisconsin 53528.Land for the Kerl School was donated by Otto Kerl, farmer and homeopathic practitioner. The school was built of native limestone by John Miller for $325 and opened in 1874. Early teachers earned $25 to $30 per month. From 1887 to 1907, there were two terms, the first lasting two months starting in April and a second term lasting five months starting in November. After 1907, a single term lasted eight to nine months. The school closed in 1954.
Looking southwest from the marker location.